Pages

2009-05-23

Relationships?

"Every relationship for a Christian is an opportunity to love another person like God has loved us. To lay down our desires and do what's in his or her best interest. To care for him or her even when there's nothing in it for us. To want that person's purity and holiness because it pleases God and protects him or her." - Joshua Harris.

I just started reading I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris. So far, it's all stuff that I was taught by my parents growing up and things that I have already been convicted of. I wanted to read it though, because I might want to recommend it to some people, and I don't like recommending books I haven't read. (Though, I would recommend books from certain authors such as Randy Alcorn and John Eldredge, even if I haven't read all of their books.)

To all of my dear readers, don't worry if you're not currently in any relationship.
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding." -Proverbs 3:5
I know that for at least one of you, by your own understanding/knowledge, you may feel like time is running out and that if you don't find someone soon, you never will. But don't be concerned about that. God does have it all planned out for you, and His way is best. He is the creator and owner of time. Try to focus on drawing closer to Him. And don't worry about guys. Let Him be the one to find one for you. Remember. "A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man needs to seek Him in order to find her." Trust God my dear friend. If it seems like no man is seeking God enough to find you, then still, do not worry. It is in God's hands, and be thankful for His protection from those who might not draw you closer to Him.

Trust in the LORD and do good;
  Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the LORD;
  And He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD,
  Trust also in Him, and He will do it.
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light
  And your judgment as the noonday.
Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him;
  Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.
  Cease from anger and forsake wrath;
Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.
  For evildoers will be cut off,
But those who wait for the LORD, they will inherit the land.
(Psalm 37:3-8)

To those of you who are in relationships, I would give similar advice -- Put God above the relationship, and put LOVE above emotions and feelings.

And what do I mean by that? I mean that you should be more concerned about honoring and pleasing God than about keeping the relationship. If you know the relationship is not honoring and pleasing to God, then end it, or if possible, just end the part that is not pleasing to God.

And what do I mean by putting Love above emotions and feelings? I mean that Love IS NOT an emotion or feeling. I would contend that you can love someone even while your emotions and feelings may be telling you to punch them in the face. Love is about wanting the very best for the other person, and living for their good. And that includes, as Joshua Harris said very well in the beginning quote, "[wanting] that person's purity and holiness because it pleases God and protects him or her."

I intend to post more on this topic in the near future -- perhaps a section aimed at guys, and one aimed at girls. And please, feel free to comment with corrections, criticisms, questions, or whatever.

May God be glorified.

1 comment:

  1. hey, Ray =) It's me..ahah, good review about the book and it is important for every boy and girl needs to know about.

    ReplyDelete